Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Just wondering

My daughter and I came up to Albuquerque today with my husband, he has to work up here for 3 days. When we got up here and got checked in to the Hotel, I took one of the carts to the back of hotel to get our luggage, as he drove to the back to get parked. Well, right after I came out to meet him, one of the ladies that works at the hotel also came out to clean the glass door. I really cant tell you what we said other than Hi, how's it going, thank you, (she held door open for us) and have a nice day, small talk.... SHE said wow, thank you back to us and said she doesn't hear that often... my first response is "We're from Alabama", and my daughter chimed in, "you know southern hospitality"...


I know being from the south, that is just how we are...well most of us! but it amazes me how something that is as natural to me as the freckles on my face, has been lost on a majority of people, and the only reason I am saying majority, is because if everyone was doing it, then people wouldn't look at me as if I was weird. I once  literally had a man, that I was holding the door open for in New York, jump back and walk around me staring at me like I had leprosy or some visible contagious disease. I just smiles and said in the worst southern drawl I could muster up. "You hava nice day sir" ~ Scarlett would be proud... or Blanche  Devereaux, lol. (it was that bad LOL)

Well, when I returned the cart to the lobby, the lady saw me, smiled and walked over and said "I'll take that for you" I just smiled back and said "Thank you so much, you have a good night"..  Wonder why more people don't take the time to just be nice!

Wonder how many more people, I will scare up here... let you know later.
Y'all have a good night!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Lee, I'm from FL and just moved to AZ. And I can't count how many times I've had people say, " you sure are polite" or "you do smile a lot" . And then they say you must be from the south.:) they also think I have an accent. :) but I agree with you why can't we as a nation be nicer. I dropped into your blog, cause I saw you signed up to follow me. And I wanted to say thank you. This blog thing is new to me. And I'm liking it. :):) have a blessed day. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra they say I have an accent too but I think it is normal... even though I started this blog in 2009 with intentions of blogging, I am also new to this, and have enjoyed reading other women's blogs from around the world..Hope you have a blessed day and look forward to reading yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you just keep right on being nice; the rewards are out of this world! -smile-
    It's a sad and sorry day when we cannot extend the milk of human kindness one to another. "Do unto others what you would have them do unto you."

    ReplyDelete